Robyn E. Brickel, MA, LMFT
Therapist and Clinical Director of Practice
Robyn E. Brickel, MA, LMFT is the clinical director and lead therapist at Brickel and Associates, LLC in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, which she founded in 1999.
She is deeply committed to clinical practice, professional education and better public awareness of mental health issues.
A Trauma-Informed, Strengths-Based, Systems Approach to Care
Robyn practices a trauma-informed, strengths-based, systems approach to therapy. She helps clients process and heal from all forms of abuse (physical, sexual, emotional and verbal )trauma,including childhood emotional neglect, addictions, eating disorder behaviors, challenged family systems, and mood disorders including maternal/parental mental health issues. She works with individuals (both adolescents and adults), couples, families, and groups. With advanced training and experience in the treatment of trauma, dissociation, addictions, eating disorders, self-harm and maternal mental health, Robyn helps people make and maintain positive changes in their lives.
Robyn also has advanced clinical training in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy and is a Certified EMDIA therapist and Approved Consultant-in-Training.
Clients find a safe therapeutic environment for recovering from dysfunctional relationships, anxiety, depression, abuse history, addictions, and eating disordered behaviors. New skills learned in treatment include a better understanding of how to work from personal strengths.
Support for Couples
Robyn is a Licensed Marriage and Family therapist with advanced training in several other forms of couples’ therapy, such as Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT), IMAGO, Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT).
Support for Adolescents
Robyn’s work with at-risk adolescents goes beyond behavioral interventions and resolving negative school performance. Working with young people and teens, she taps into the strengths of community and family systems, helping members grow and thrive together.
Robyn speaks to school and parent groups about mental health risks facing young people today. Presentations include teaching other therapists how to work within a trauma-informed, strengths-based framework, to work with adolescents and their families in a collaborative approach treating substance abuse and the trauma of domestic violence.
The Washington Post and Washington Parent magazine have featured her insights in articles about the dangers of adolescent marijuana use and teen dating safety.
Clinical Consultant and Community Resource
Robyn is a dedicated and supportive resource to colleagues and other professionals through clinical consultations. An expert in trauma-informed care, Robyn is a compassionate and knowledgeable clinician and sought-after resource for collaborative support.
Robyn provides case consultations to local therapists in treating trauma, addictions, self-harming behaviors and mood disorders. She has served as a consulting therapist to local schools, communities, and medical facilities and providers. She works with substance abuse treatment providers and eating disorder facilities around the US, aiding recovery from substance abuse, alcohol addiction, eating disordered behaviors and co-occurring disorders.
Robyn is also an EMDRIA approved Consultant-in-Training.
Robyn gives back to the community, volunteering as a mental health consultant to local organizations and schools. She educates adolescents and families about addiction, and works with local non-profit organizations to raise awareness of the mental health effects of domestic violence.
In addition to her clinical and volunteer work, Robyn runs a full practice of several counseling professionals, and teaches continuing education classes.
Maternal Mental Health Support
Supporting maternal mental health is an important part of Robyn’s practice. She works with local postpartum support groups and with fertility specialists, helping treat issues including postpartum anxiety and depression.
Robyn also presents workshops and trainings to teach other mental health professionals about treating Maternal Mental Health from a trauma-informed lens. Robyn’s trainings in this area have been approved for the advanced certification requirements for Postpartum Support International (PSI).
For a complete list of her post-graduate training, see the curriculum vita below.
Post-Licensure Training and Education Programs
- Training in many trauma-informed therapy models, including the treatment of substance abuse/alcohol and process addictions, dissociation, and other effects of trauma
- Specialty training in Ego State Psychotherapy from the Center for Healing and Imagery
- Advanced Trauma Treatment Certification, Advanced Institute of Psychotherapy Training and Education, Inc
- Certification, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- EMDRIA Approved Consultant-in-Training (CIT)
- Specialty training from the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute in the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Approach to Trauma: Levels I and II
- Specialty training in the Internal Family Systems model of therapy
- Advanced (externship & core skills) training in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Specialty Training in the Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT)
- Training in Imago Relational Therapy
- Specialty training from Postpartum Support International and the 2020 Mom Project, including the completion of the Maternal Mental Health certificate training and other Paternal Mental Health trainings
- Completion of The Postpartum Stress Center Post Graduate Training Program
- Clinical Fellow Member, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) Associate Member, Mid-Atlantic Association for Imago Relationship Therapists (MAIT)
- Full Member, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing International Association (EMDRIA)
- Member of The American Psychological Association’s Division 56: Trauma Psychology
- Member of The Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH)
- Full Member of the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD)
- Lifetime Member of International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Clinical Member of Postpartum Support International (PSI)
- Professional Member, National Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC)
Clinical Professional member – Postpartum Support Virginia